ACCorD – Corridor for New Mobility Aachen – Düsseldorf
With the corridor for new mobility Aachen - Düsseldorf, an integrated development environment will be created to systematically test and secure automated vehicles in interaction with connected infrastructures.
Automated and connected driving offers great potential for increasing traffic safety and efficiency as well as social participation. However, the development of automated and connected vehicles poses immense challenges for all players. As a technologically complex system consisting of traffic, communication and IT infrastructures as well as automated and connected vehicles, it is essential to ensure that they always function flawlessly in real traffic and in interaction with other road users.
With the corridor for new mobility Aachen - Düsseldorf, an integrated development environment will be created, incorporating existing test fields in the Aachen - Düsseldorf area, in order to systematically test and secure automated vehicles in interaction with connected infrastructures. By involving experts and citizens, a participation process is also being initiated. The requirements of automated and connected driving from the point of view of traffic planning, citizens, mobile phone providers and the vehicle industry will be therefore considered. In order to depict a wide variety of traffic scenarios, the corridor contains a motorway section, an urban section and a rural area.
The project will carry out the following activities:
- Set up a test environment that uses a reference sensor system to record road users and the traffic environment on the three test field sections (urban, rural, motorway) with high precision.
- Connect with the traffic infrastructure through virtual network control and connected light signal systems.
- Establish of a central database in which all recorded data is processed and stored and can be used for further research and development activities and for simulations.
- Design and implement digital twins of the test field as a virtual image of the three test field sections for the execution of tests in simulation.
- Use of the test environment for validation and further development of new driving functions for automated and connected vehicles.
- Promote public participation and involvement of stakeholders on the topic of automated and networked driving to take into account the different requirements.
The project is being worked on jointly by partners from science and research, traffic planning and software development, the automotive industry, mobile communication and administration (local authorities and state building authorities). The diversity of the partners ensures an interdisciplinary approach.
Funded by the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure by decision of the German Bundestag
Promotion of technological developmentIn ACCorD, a test environment will be set up and data from automated and connected vehicles in real traffic will be collected which can be used for fostering developments.
Simulation of automated drivingDigital twins of the test fields for the execution of tests in simulation will be built and used for the validation.
Public participation and stakeholder involvementCitizen participation and stakeholder involvement will be stimulated on the topic of automated and connected driving in the city of Aachen.