Development of a methodology for the optimized planning of retrofitting and/or replacement of important bridges
Many of the federal highways built before 1985 have a load-bearing capacity that is not sufficient to withstand the present or predicted freight traffic loads.
The project focused on the planning of necessary retrofitting and/or replacement measures for the bridges concerned. The project builds on the results of a completed previous project. A prototypical procedure for the calculation of optimized retrofitting programs has been developed, which minimize the macroeconomic impact of unavailability or limited usability of the bridges in a subnetwork.
The methodology was applied to selected Rhine crossings in North Rhine-Westphalia between Bonn and Duisburg.
In the ongoing project the method is being further developed with the aim of applicability for larger sub-networks. The aim of the project is then to develop a software prototype for the calculation of optimized retrofitting programs.
Results from the project
- The construction of larger bicycle parking systems across the country at high-volume stations cannot be achieved with current financing approaches or existing organisational structures.
- A strategic approach is recommended in which both the federal government and Deutsche Bahn AG play a central role regarding financing and implementation.
- Existing support programmes are suitable for financing small and medium-sized systems, but need to be adapted
- Coordination centres are needed. Responsibilities must be clearly defined.
- There is a need for appropriate processes at DB, the federal states and local authorities for rapid, complete and systematic identification and clarification of adequate areas for bicycle parking systems.
- a modular construction concept developed in the project as well as a sample cost calculation will support the actors in planning and implementation of construction projects - regardless of their size.