Modernisation of Berlin’s motorway network: Integrated traffic and construction concept
- Holistic implementation approach
- Modal shift strategies during the construction phase
- Consideration of traffic- and time-related issues as well as financial and ecological aspects
The A111 motorway located northwest of Berlin connects Berliner Ring (A10), the orbital motorway around the city, to the A100 urban expressway, carrying up to 180,000 vehicles a day. The ageing road system – from the Berlin/Brandenburg border to the Charlottenburg motorway junction and from the A100 to the Westend bridge – had to be completely overhauled. The project team ‘Construction’ examined the structural aspects and the ‘Traffic’ team, headed by PTV Transport Consult, developed a traffic management concept to be implemented during the construction phase.
Challenge: Ensuring smooth traffic flow during construction
Modal shift strategies
Result: Integrated traffic and construction concept
- the stages of construction
- the time schedule for the construction measures
- and the resulting traffic conditions
The results were integrated into the overall traffic and construction concept.
Tunnel safety report